The patient, or their representative is notified of the patient's right in advance of furnishing or discontinuing patient care whenever possible.
- The right to impartial access to treatment regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, age, or handicap;
- The right to exercise his/her rights while receiving care or treatment in the hospital without coercion, discrimination or retaliation;
- The right to have a surrogate (parent, legal guardian, person with medical power of attorney) exercise the patient's rights when the patient is incapable of doing so, without coercion, discrimination or retaliation;
- The right to participate in the development and implementation of his or her plan of care;
- The right to make informed decisions regarding his/her care, be informed of his/her health status, be involved in care planning and treatment; and be able to request or refuse treatment. This right must not be construed as a mechanism to demand the provision of treatment or services deemed medically unnecessary to inappropriate;
- The right to formulate advance directives and to have hospital staff and practitioners who provide care in the hospital comply with these directives;
- The right to have a family member or representative of his or her choice and his or her own physician notified promptly of his or her admission to the hospital;
- The right to personal privacy;
- The right to receive care in a safe setting;
- The right to be free from all forms of abuse or harassment or neglect;
- The right to confidentiality of his or her clinical records;
- The right to access information contained in his or her clinical records within a reasonable time frame. The hospital must not frustrate the legitimate efforts of individuals to gain access to their own medical records and must actively seek to meet these requests as quickly as record keeping system permits;
- The right to be free from restraints of any form that are not medically necessary or are used as a means of coercion, discipline, convenience, or retaliation by staff;
- Inform each patient (or support person, where appropriate) of his or her visitation rights, including any clinical restriction or limitation on such rights, when he or she is informed of his or her other rights under this section, in advance of furnishing patient care whenever possible;
- Inform each patient (or support person, where appropriate) of the right subject to his or her consent, to receive the visitors whom he or she designates, including, but not limited to, a spouse, a domestic partner (including a same-sex domestic partner), another family member, or a friend, and his or her right to withdraw or deny such consent at any time;
- Not restrict, limit, or otherwise deny visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability;
- Ensure that all visitors enjoy full and equal visitation privileges consistent with patient preferences;
- The right to be fully informed of and to consent or refuse the participate in any unusual, experimental or research project without compromising his/her services;
- The right to know the professional status of any person providing his/her care/services;
- The right to know the reasons for any proposed change in the Professional Staff responsible for his/her care;
- The right to know the reasons for his/her transfer either within or outside the hospital;
- The right to know the relationship(s) of the hospital to other persons or organizations participating in the provisions of his/her care;
- The right to access the cost, itemized when possible, of services rendered within a reasonable period of time;
- The right to be informed of the source of the hospital's reimbursement for his/her services, and of any limitations which may be placed upon his/her care;
- The right to be informed to have pain treated as effectively as possible;
- The patient's family has the right of informed consent of donation of organs and tissues.
- Your or your representative may file a compliant or grievance at any time with;
The Indiana State Department of Health
2 North Meridian, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Click here for Spanish version of Patient Rights (Haga clic aquí para la versión en Español de los derechos del paciente).
All Patients Shall Have the Following Responsibilities:
- The responsibility to supply accurate and complete information about past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications, and other matters relating to their care.
- The responsibility to timely notify the physician or nurse about any change in his/her condition.
- The responsibility to participate in his/her own health care by following instructions and medical advice and to accept the consequences if he/she chooses not to follow instructions or medical advice.
- The responsibility to ask questions if he/she does not understand directions and procedures, or if he/she is unable to follow them.
- The responsibility to cooperate with Union Hospital, Inc. staff and physicians in observing safety rules, regulations and policies.
- The responsibility to follow written rules and behaviors which are specific to the area on which he/she is being treated.
- The responsibility to respect others' property and that of Union Hospital, Inc.
- The responsibility to observe Union Hospital, Inc.'s ban on smoking except in designated areas.
- The responsibility to be considerate of other patients in limiting noise and the number of visitors.
- The responsibility to be considerate of Union Hospital, Inc. personnel who are involved in providing his/her health care.
- The responsibility to cooperate and assist in making discharge plans in a responsible and timely manner.
- The responsibility to timely report perceived risks he/she may have noted in the care received.
- The responsibility to participate in appropriate testing, including voluntarily providing blood or body fluid samples, in the event a medical services provider has been exposed to the patient's blood or body fluids during treatment.
- The responsibility to cooperate with arranging for timely payment for services rendered and to meet those financial obligations.
Click here for Spanish version of Patient Responsibilities (Haga clic aquí para la versión en Español de las responsabilidadesdel paciente).